Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mexican Haircut and The Road Less Traveled



So I was going to ramble about the experience of getting a Mexican haircut today: the 20 minute hair-washing/massage that actually really creeped me out, trying to explain in Spanish haircutting terms in English, and then the surprise result with the old woman styling, but I am kind of in a pensive mood right now.  So I'll ramble about other things.






Right now my "I come home" Countdown reads 37 days, 21 hours, 58 minutes and 02 seconds.  It has amazed me how this experience has flown by.  April 1, my mom emailed me marking my halfway point and telling me that she had figured out that the grand total would come to 141 days away from home.  So much has happened since that halfway point.  

This was the RIGHT decision for me in my life.  At this age.  In these circumstances.  In these 141 days.  Everyday I learn something new and every day is a blessing.  

Early on in my experience here, I started a list on my computer of things that I am grateful for.  In reality, it was a kind of therapy.  A way of escaping the challenges I was facing and truly taking the time to think about things I appreciate.  I have also made a list of things that I have gained a greater appreciation for now that I've spent time here.  Things like Dishwashers, Internet and Driving, but also things like Moms, Dads and Loved Ones.  

God has kept me very busy on this adventure.  He has blessed me with time to work, time to serve, time to sing, time to walk, time to study, time to clean, time to testify.  But it's at times like this, when I can't sleep and have had days to think, that He gives me time to love.  To truly love.  To recognize all the blessings in my life and to praise Him for each and every one of them.  Time to cry for those who are lost, time to listen to those I care for, time to look upon the hearts of those he has blessed me to know and time to love them the way that he does.

I cried for the first time in a long time today.
  Yes, Because I am homesick, it's hard to be so close.  But also in gratitude.  How many people get to say that they have had the opportunities that I have had?  How many people can love and be loved in so many different parts of the world?  How many people know God the way that I do and can say that they have found true happiness?

Luckily, I am not the only one blessed to have found peace in that last question.  But there are so many more seeking.  To find God and to truly find God is the adventure of a lifetime.  Many come so close and yet fall at the last minute.  I wish I could always have the courage that God blessed me with on my mini-mission.  Life is that simple, finding happiness is that simple, but we HAVE to know where to look.

For those of you, who have just spent 10 minutes of your day reading this: Thank You.  I understand now, how precious time is, and I am grateful that you would make the sacrifice to allow me and my imperfect, superficial thoughts to be a part of your life.  But I ask now, that you would take 10 minutes more, nothing more than that, and change someone's life.  It really is that simple.  

I love you.  God loves you.  Press Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ.  Life was not meant to be easy, but we were meant to find love.  Real, Perfect, Godlike Love.  And if you have found it, please don't keep it to yourself.


3 comments:

  1. That was a good 10 minutes. It was good to hear your thoughts today. One can only truly love as you described when we forget ourselves. It's something I work on everyday... thanks for the reminder.
    Oh, I love the haircut... Especially that first picture you had on Facebook.
    Well, we missed you too this weekend. I had the chance to have 4 of my sweet nieces at my house. It was great to have them here. Amanda flew in yesterday so the girls went to a movie and then spent 45 minutes with a camera in at Kmart... they had some left over money so that bought a disposible camera... it will be interesting to see those pics.
    take care and hurry home.
    Aunt Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you and your beautiful soul :D

    My goal for the week: share the LOOVEEE <3

    thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Press Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ. Life was not meant to be easy, but we were meant to find love. Real, Perfect, Godlike Love. And if you have found it, please don't keep it to yourself."
    this is such a great quote! :)

    ReplyDelete