Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Recent Accomplishments.

Sorry I don't have time for a creative title or a well written story, but I am sitting in the library with my fifteen minute time-limit almost up and figured I owed you a blog.
1) I spoke in Church on Sunday. Yes, in my student ward. And YES, in Spanish. Ten Minutes, Baby. I nearly cried when the Bishop told me what my topic would be: "Families can be Together Forever" (Familias pueden ser eternas). As I was preparing, I kept getting the impression, you need to talk about Erin. I distracted myself by preparing a huge amount of doctrinal stuff, that was very deep, and as I practiced, talked for over ten minutes, without even getting to Erin. I figured I would be okay. And then, when I got up to the stand to speak (my wonderful, supportive gramma staring up at me), I felt prompted to NOT go into the doctrine. And then I cried. But I trust that I said what God wanted me to say, even if I still don't know Why. Maybe these people needed to see that I'm human. Maybe this was the best way to give my heart to them.
2) Yesterday, I went to my first Basketball practice. I nearly died. A few weeks ago, the coach came up to me and asked me to be on the team. I told him that I didn't know how to play and would be leaving in a month. He said that he didn't care if I didn't know how to play, or even if I wasn't an athlete, he recognized my enthusiasm and positive attitude: "I can teach you how to play, but it's much harder to teach someone attitude. You've got that. And that's enough for me, even if you can only come for a week, my team could learn from you." Yesterday, when we started out practice, he surprised me by lecturing the team about how good of a person I am, and how he recognized my enthuiasm. No pressure right. That's okay, I'm learning. Maybe by the time I come home I'll be able to shoot a free throw....:)
3) Thinking about coming home.
a) One thing I have been thinking about, is the ridiculous amount of clothes I have in my closet. I have basically been living out of a broom closet the past four months (four months exactly tomorrow), and wearing a uniform to school. I'm not a very decisive person anyway. How I ever learned to choose what I was going to wear everyday....I have no idea. And now I have to somehow reteach myself.
b) I learned how to make Salsa. All the different kinds. I'm making a recipe book. Hopefully, I will still remember what the food words mean in English. And will be able to find them in the Grocery Store.
c) I miss you! [Times up for today. 21 days left (three weeks exactly), but my mom comes even sooner!!!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment