Friday, January 30, 2009

Nothing Witty. Nothing Poetic. Just Me.

Classes, Classes, Classes.  I really am very busy.  The first few days were fine, but I have three Unit Exams coming up in the next week and taking Ten classes means mucho tarea.  I am keeping up pretty well, even though now and then something will surprise me and my friend, Ale, will say, "Oh, I'm Sorry.  I thought you knew that."  She really is helping me though.  I've found other ways to keep myself occupied.  I am in Choir--though everything we sing is learned by rote, so that is very frustrating and immensely tedious.  Then there are the daily chores.  Nothing too major, but like I mentioned earlier, Mexicans clean everything overly thoroughly (although that phrase makes no sense).  Then there is the daily run to the library to try and keep up with emails (I apologize).  Sometimes they won't let me in and sometimes the time limit is shorter than other times, I don't understand the system at all, but I'm learning.  More people are getting more comfortable speaking with me in Spanish.  And English, for that matter.  I find that I'm learning constantly. 

This is what really makes me nervous, so much homework.  And it takes me ten times as long to do it because I have to translate everything into English, Process it in my Head and then Retranslate into Spanish.  However, I really am progressing though.  I've had several people mention that to me.  I know it's not anything that I've done though.  I simply know that God helps those who love Him and though my love is imperfect, it's penetrating.  I know that I can and will grow closer to Him in this adventure if I simply put my trust in him.


I found a map of North America in my planner and marked the distance between Mexico City and Home, that certainly surprised me a bit.  It even looked far on the World Map.  But you know what, home really is where the heart is.

P.S.  One other thing I have learned.  The gift of tongues is not only the ability to speak and interpret, but it is to understand the hearts of God's people.

5 comments:

  1. Eventually you will get to the point that you don't have to translate to English and back to Spanish and back to English. It just happens...poof...you get it! Be patient, it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take really nice pictures :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rachel from the Las Vegas Dixons'! Wow!! What an adventure you are having. We think you are just the best thing since maize! We look forward to reading your blog for a long time.
    Love you tons,
    The Dixons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooo did you take those pictures in a mirror, or are you just really good at writing backwards??

    ReplyDelete