Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things I Have Learned from 24 Hours in La Ciudad de Mexico

Things I Have Learned from 24 Hours in La Ciudad de Mexico:

[in Chronological Order]

1) Never bring more suitcases than you have hands (or in my case--my guitar. Getting from the luggage conveyor to the exit doors took me three times as long as it should have)

2) I am a terrible driver (The streets in Mexico City don't even have lines. How my Grandfather avoided an accident, I will never know)

3) When eating in Mexico, eat as the Mexicans do. Some things aren't intended to be eaten with a fork. There is such a thing as being overly polite.

4) Listen closely when Mexicans tell you their names. It may sound like it just blends into the rest of the palabras, but it is very separate.

5) If you pray in English in front of Mexicans, watch out for the squeal afterwards.

6) Always wear shoes. If you come to scripture study sin sus zapatos, you will be scolded.

7) Hot Dogs are NOT for Breakfast. (I personally don't agree with Hot Dog consumption at anytime, but if you eat one for breakfast, it will come back to bite you)

8) The Spirit speaks in Every Language.

9) Two Mexican Men trying to speak English are more difficult to understand than One speaking Spanish

10) When looking for someone who speak English look above the heads of the rest. The tallest is the most helpful.

9 comments:

  1. ok

    i laughed and cried - mostly laughed

    especially at 9 and 10

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. those are great. you really got scolded? I'm sorry. and I really like #9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the driving one. You are always amazed you won't die while driving in Mexico City. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, are you at the school yet? What's happening taquito?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are in Mexico City. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience high school in a foreign land. You are lucky to have this opportunity. And you will surely make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a lot of awesomeness in such a short amount of time! I hope all is well on the Mexico front.

    p.s. i received you and Lauren's letters today. simply splendid. and you were highly missed today in choir. people entered today and there were stifled gasps of "oh no! Rachel!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you will have more to add to your list, but I'm glad all is going well. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Rachel! You are doing great and we miss you already! So glad you are able to update your blog. It will be fun to hear about your adventures. Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dear, you're amazing. That list is incredible! So fun!

    (I got your lovely Day-Brightening Bear yesterday in the mail and your sweet note today-- THANKS SO MUCH!)

    How cool that you're able to blog already!

    All my love. <3 caitlin noël

    ReplyDelete