Saturday, March 14, 2009

MIDE and Carranza

(intended to be posted March 3rd, 2009, but I lost my flash drive...:[)



Today I had my first field trip with Bene. We went to the Museo Interactive de Economía. Although the museum itself was a little boring the experience was amazing.



First thing in the morning we all piled into the buses at the front of the school and I was so scared I was going to get terribly carsick and puke on the person sitting next me. They tried to get me to sit all the way in the back and I knew that was not a good idea so I found a more comfortable seat all to myself. Then, right before we were about to leave the tallest girl in the bus decided to be nice and come sit next to me. There was hardly any leg room. So much for sleeping on the way there.

That was a good thing I guess though because I was forced to open my eyes and experience Mexico city.

As we were driving over a bridge I had a view down at the buildings next to me. There was a man standing by himself with his shoes off and looking so desperate. As I looked longer, I noticed him starting to cry and as I noticed this, I noticed myself starting to cry also. I quickly glanced around the bus seeing if there was anyway we could stop, anyway I could just make eye contact with him. I said a prayer in my heart pleading that Heavenly Father would go to him, comfort him.

I am just so very blessed. As the drive continued I noticed other things. Moms walking through the dirt on the side of the road with their children, what looked like junkyards on top of peoples houses, a man sitting against a wall in the centro, barely having the strength to reach out his hand and beg for change. I thought about the kids in the bus with me. This is their reality. This is their world. And it’s wonderful. Coming to Poway would feel like Disneyland, or the mansions in Heaven.

Doctrine and Covenants 14:7 “And if ye keep my commandments and endure to the end, ye shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God.” Endure to the end. I’m cruising along in the back seat of a light blue classic mustang convertible, with the wind blowing in my face a little more than I would like it to. I’m ready to give up my seat to the shoeless man, or the hitchhiking mother with her daughter on her shoulders, or my classmate who wears the same thing to school everyday.

I could learn from a little bit of walking on the side of the road.

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart and love your writing. One of the blessings of traveling abroad is a greater appreciation of the simple things of life and the great abundance we enjoy. Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel. You are blessed, absolutely, but I cannot think of anyone more amazing and deserving of those blessings than you. You are blessed because your heart doesn't have boundaries. You are blessed because you give your life to make others happy. You are blessed to have new schoolmates and friends and eyes that are opened to see the needs of others accompanied with the desire to aid their ailments. You are blessed because you have a great knowledge and testimony of the gospel and are trusted with the responsibility to go into the world and use it for good. The amazing, strong, wonderful people of Mexico City are blessed to have you and you are blessed to have them. It's a circle of influence that continues forward for all time. <3

    Thanks for sharing this experience.
    Here's my heart.

    ReplyDelete