Saturday, March 14, 2009

Failure at Blogging

okay.  Preface to this blog entry:  It was going to be an Illustrated update of my adventures from the past few weeks that I have utterly failed to blog for, but my computer is being silly and not letting me put pictures and copying and pasting under the page and it's wierd.  so I'm sorry, and enjoy.

1)  The Guilt of Facebook

Last time I came to my grandparent's my mother asked me to get a facebook so that I could look at Marly's photos or post mine or something.  I refuted for a bit, and then well, long story short, I gave in.   Rachel Davis is now a victim of facebook.  If you wish to see the pictures that refuse to be posted on this blog, then feel free to find them there.  Of course, I only get access to it like once a month so I will not become an addict.  At least not until I get home.  Oh no.

2)  March 7th, 2009

We all knew it would come.  Not a date that could be avoided, but I didn't plan on being in a foreign country.  Or away from my family.  God kept me very very busy that morning: extra chores, lots of homework, phonecalls from friends and family, and then a choir trip in the afternoon.  That's where I found the trouble.  Too much time to myself.  Though, I'll admit I loved looking out at the city.  Driving through REAL Mexico, not the sheltered and safe Benemérito.  I snapped a few pictures (again, which can't be added), but I really just enjoyed looking.  The people are fascinating.  Mr. Harris would have gotten some amazing photos :).  Anyway, after we arrived at the location for our performance, we had some downtime.  Alot of downtime.  I'll admit, I did at least 20 laps around the church that we were singing at.  And every so often I would run into someone, paste on my genuine smile and say that I was fine.  I only managed to tell one person what was really going on that day.  That was a difficult one.  As soon as anyone knows they try and assure you that it's okay, that you will see her again, but I really do know all of that.  Please don't doubt my faith.  I know that we will be reunited someday.  It's just hard sometimes.  And that's something I couldn't know until I experienced it.  I know this is God's will.  And I have seen the blessings, but it's just part of life.  "Life is difficult...Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult.  Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."  I'm still in that acceptance stage.  But I do know that we can choose to be happy, even admist the "unfairness" of life.  Because we know that God is in control, and God is ALWAYS fair.  

Erin, I love you and miss you.  And I am so grateful that I got to remember you on that day. and everyday.  I hope you got my balloon <3.

3)Music=Therapy.

I've only written two more songs while I've been here, but I play the piano, guitar and sing...Nonstop.  I think it annoys my roommates :).
For our "Tertulia de la Exelencia" I played the same song on my guitar that I played for our Evening of Excellence.  I was a little out of breath when I sang because I had just been running back and forth all around campus in the cold trying to help my bishop, but all the girls still loved it.  I translated the last verse and the last chorus into Spanish and they all started squeeling when I began singing.  I'll admit that singing that song, with my odd-style voice in Spanish was a little bit...different, but I felt like I was able to do something for them.  That was a good night :).

4) A real live baby duck
Caro's boyfriend gave her a duck for their sixth month.  Honestly, This is probably the most romantic thing I have ever seen.  I was so super happy.  

5) The mission experience:





I know had already mentioned that I was going to be a missionary for Benemérito and how excited I was about that, but things have changed a little bit.  I was unable to participate in the Missionario Benemérito, but I will now be going to the Cuerna Vaca the first and second weeks in April during my spring break to serve a mini mission.  There is a threesome of Sisters there and I will become the fourth.  Living everyday like a true missionary.  Working Hard, Preaching the Gospel, and Loving It.  This weekend I came to Gramma's and we had a Sister Missionary Attire Fashion Show.  More or Less this involved raiding Gramma's closet and seeing which clothes actually fit and were modest enough.  I wish words could express how excited I am and how grateful I am for this opportunity.  I get to hit the mission field before my brother.  Wierd.  Haha, love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hello dear one! What amazing experiences you are having and also looking forward to. You have such a good heart and I am so happy for you for all that you are learning and doing in Mexico. (we do miss you here!) take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for being such a good example to all of us! I love and appreciate your strength.

    ReplyDelete