Monday, March 23, 2009

In Memory of Daniel

Earlier this week, we heard news that one of our classmates was injured during football practice and was rushed to the emergency room. Something was terribly wrong with his brain. That night we had a prayer together and the Hermana asked me to offer it. I made my first major mistake and blessed Daniela instead of Daniel, thinking they had said it was a girl. That's okay though, because the blessing on his family was still "su familia," so I did something right.

Then yesterday after choir, I was craving a piano for playing and walked all the way to the Seminary buildings to see if I could find one. I heard someone playing the piano so I knew I had access. There I ran into Hector (yes, the boy who gave me the Rubik's cube), who actually plays amazing-ly. We talked for a while and then finally he got really serious and asked me for help. Daniel lived in his house last year and Hector felt like his faith was waivering from this experience. God gave me the ability to testify and to comfort him, a talent that I have NEVER possessed. We talked for a long time about what we needed to do and then even talked about Erin. It was a difficult talk, but I know that God strengthen me and him, and gave me the words that he needed to hear. I don't know why God so often priveleges me by using me as an instrument in His hands.

Later that night, the Hermana called us all for oraciĆ³n. Very solemnly. She told us that that night, Daniel had passed away. Tears began to roll down the cheeks of my friends who surrounded me and even I found myself crying. (One thing I have learned about myself here is that i can't NOT cry when I see someone else crying). As soon as we finished the prayer, I ran into my room, locked myself in the bathroom and fell to my knees in tears.

I didn't know Daniel, but I KNOW the pain of his family. I had been fasting that day for them.

I got up from my knees and knew I had to do something. I got out my scriptures and a notebook and began writing. I wrote three and a half pages to his family. I have never written anything that long in Spanish. I only used my Spanish-English dictionary once. I won't be able to attend his funeral today because I have a choir presentation at 12, but I am again fasting for his family. I don't know if they are members or not, but I KNOW that they need strength. I also know, that in times of trial, the prayers of others can be literally felt, and angels will lift us up and comfort us.

Thank You to everyone who gave me strength a little over a year ago, who continues to give me strength. And Thank You to my God, my Heavenly Father, and to my Redeemer, who knows this pain, this sorrow, this heartache. We can have perfect faith, but we can also have godly sorrow.

I love you.

8 comments:

  1. My prayers are with Daniel's family (and you, always) <3

    Maybe you have never felt or realized your talent to testify and give comfort, but I have been a benefactor from your strength time and again. The experience you had with Hector sounds like one that will never be forgotten, and I am glad that through it, you were able to see the ability and talent you truly do have (and always have had) to be a support to others. The love you have for our Savior, His gospel, and all those around you is evident in the way you live your life. Your goodness never goes unnoticed.

    I love you my friend, how incredible you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your an amazing example to us all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Caitlin said... You are such a strength and a comfort to many! I'm grateful you can be a comfort to his family at this time as well.
    love you Rachel!
    Aunt Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***Revision--I haven't been a benefactor-- YOU have been a benefactor to me... I have been the recipient of your strength. That's what I meant to say. Sheesh. I can't even speak in English correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel Jean, you are incredible. Thank you for your beauty and your humility and most of all your inspiration. You change the lives of those around you without even realizing it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rachel! You are a wonderful example to us all and I know that your friends in Mexico are feeling the blessing of having you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, I have always thought that you have a gift of uplifting and encouraging those around you. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que bonita, me gusto mucho quando el senior nos bendimos. Ok I really speak french. I love how the Lord works and blesses our lives. I know that your words will inspire that family. You are one amazing chica. :)

    ReplyDelete