Monday, April 13, 2009

I LOVE THIS

I don't even know where to begin with the updating besides the fact that I only have four days left. I am going to work HARD.

Well, for starters, Tuesday was our Multizone conference with Acapulco. What did that mean? Elder Ross Mickelsen was there! I'll admit I was very surprised, because my companion had convinced me that it was only our zone, but then as I walked in to the chapel shaking hands with a row of missionaries, I looked up and saw the face of my cousin. Boy, was that a wonderful surprise. We caught up very quickly on our adventures, experiences, etc. and then like always, got back to work. The meeting included a wonderful discussion led by Elder Gardner, a spontaneous musical number by the Mickelsen cousins, a competition with the first two discussions, a message from Sister Gardner and then a very short testimony meeting. The spirit was so strong the entire time. These saints just live every day filled with the spirit, such an amazing feeling.

After the conference, I awaited the dreaded interview with President Gardner. Well, at least my companion was dreading it. I was a bit surprised when we spoke in Spanish, but then he handed me the phone and called my mother so that was nice. I do feel a little bit spoiled down here :P.

The rest of the week included, real, hard, missionary, WORK. I only was sunburned twice and only had one day when I absolutely could NOT eat the food. It wasn't awful, they just gave me a serving that could have filled Noah's ark.

We find new investigators every day and catch up with the "old" ones. I've found that where I'm useful is in testifying why I'm here and using the scriptures. Although I don't always know exactly what they say in Spanish, I know what they say in Enlgish. Thank goodness for Scripture Mastery and being raised studying the scriptures daily. (There are alot of things I have been grateful to have been raised with recently. For one, the majority of members here are converts. And then when I told someone that I have ancestors that were pioneers, I thought they were going to start bowing to me.)

We had our first baptism in a companionship on Thursday, a woman we really had to work and fight with. The day of the baptism it felt like all the powers of the devil were combined against us. But she made it and then Sunday she was confirmed. Darling sixty year old Celza. Whenever I see her I call her "Guapa," she likes that. Haha, though now she calls me Guapa too, we have fun :)

We brought two investigators to the baptism and they absolutely loved it. Their baptisms are planned for this thursday, but that might not happen because they still havent attended church yet. The baptismal service was very simple, though it also consisted of a spontaneous musical number by Hermana Davis. I know that I don't sing very well, but I know that God blesses me to feel His spirit when I am testifying, even through song. It did make me laugh though, when one of the Brothers who was sitting in the back was holding up his cell phone and...recording it. Yeah, I guess they really don't have anyone who can sing here. (I apologize, I love singing with these saints. They have absolutely no verguenza. None.)

The other day when we were walking home we passed someone who we had never met. I waved like usual, but then all of a sudden was filled with this enormous burning feeling. I turned to my companion and asked if we couldn't talk with him. She said maybe tomorrow. The burning continued until it was almost painful and I again I insisted "Why not today?" She again refuted, but told me we could go by later.
The next day when we passed his house, I was the one to go up and greet him, without even saying a word to my companion. He was sitting with his wife and three year old son in the front yard selling sabritas, fruta, agua, refrescos, etc. We began as usual and then started into the first discussion. He and his wife were very active participants in the discussion, asking questions, answering thoroughly, though his wife had her doubts. We felt compelled to leave a Book of Mormon with them that visit, rather than returning the next day to bring it to them. The next day when we payed them a visit we planned on doing a review of the first charla, but Santiago began going off on a tangent about his work. The discussion ended with all of us in tears and with me comparting the scriptures found in D&C 121 and 122 about trials. Santiago has such a big heart he cried all the way through.
He and his family attended Church on Sunday thought it was beautiful and can't wait to learn more.

I've had several more feelings like that and am truly saddened that I'll only be here for four more days to follow through with these investigators, friends and family, really. However, I do know that God sent me here for a reason, and that this mini mission will only last for two weeks for a reason.

My companion and I have really clicked and every time I mention leaving she is really saddened. I don't feel like I've been that much of a support for her, but maybe what she really needed was a friend. And an oddly and overly optomistic one. I think I've got that part. Sometimes I think I scare people with my constant smile. And then again, sometimes it's too welcoming. Though I've only gotten a few scary looks, and one person who asked if he could take a picture of my eyes.

I'm sure I've left something out. But I have to run. We've WAY outdone our time limit. Ijole. No manches...


Jajaja...Nos Vemos!!!!

All my love, Hna Davis

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel Rachel Rachel. I absolutely love you. I've been missing you a lot lately, but reading this makes me feel like your with me :) I feel blessed just to know you and I know I'll be trying my whole life to just be half the person you are. I miss you and love you tons. I would say keep working but I already know you will. :)

    p.s. I absolutely LOOOOOVE having two missionaries out right now. everyone loves hearing about you and I've already had missionary experiences just by sharing your story. love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola guapa.... glad you are enjoying your missionary life... keep changing those lives around you! You do a good job of that.

    ReplyDelete