Monday, April 6, 2009

Hello Everyone

This is Hermana Davis reporting from almost three days of active duty in the Misión México Cuernavaca. I am serving in the Chilpancingo, Guerrero District, Area Aeropuerto.

Oh, I love this.

My companion is Hermana Gutierrez who has been out for fourteen months now and is the sweetest thing alive. She's a little bit more soft spoken than I am, but we compliment each other well. She does the majority of the talking and I smile and wave at everyone.

Our area is beautiful. The people live in very humble circumstances, but because of this, they are very friendly and very receptive of our message. The difficult part for them is keeping commitments, making them is absolutely no problem. But then following through is another thing. Alot of them are embarrased because they don't have the normal clothing that members wear to church. Alot of them don't have money to get there. But we work with them and they are very patient with us (Me especially with my poor Spanish).

Yesterday I had my first experience of tracting and Hna. Gutierrez and I just decided to follow the spirit and the first house we went to we spoke to a family of about 8 and everyone was interested. I was a little nervous when right as we were about to leave the drunk dad walked out and tried to hug me, but maybe he's the one who will be the most receptive of the message. (I have only had a few creepers so far). I LOVE this work.

One of the families we went to wasn't really interested in hearing our message, but we helped them make tortillas (I think I only made one of them right...I definitely have a LOT more respect for the people who make them, it's hard!) and their youngest daughter, Saraí taught me a "Sol" song. Hna. Gutierrez told me yesterday that her father was poisoned to death by her mother, and now her mother is in jail, but Saraí is probably the happiest thing alive. There are some very sad histories here.

I've started carrying around lollipops and pass-along cards (the lollipops are for the kids--I seem to have a wonderful connection with them, they are all So beautiful. And I think it always surprises them to see a gringa. And the passalong cards, I "accidently" leave in the Combis--(the bus-like taxis that we take Everywhere :)

My black shoes are now beige/brown from the dirt and I wear grammas clothes wherever I go. It's very hot here and although I haven't been sunburned yet, I counted 21 bug bites on my body today. Bugs have always seemed to like the way that I taste, but I don't think I've ever counted 21.

My Spanish is getting better, though there are a few gringo missionaries here, who ONLY want to speak in English, it's kind of frustrating sometimes, because I know the Mexicanos feel out of place, but I think they just miss speaking in English.

I only have two weeks here, so I'm taking advantage of it as much as I can, but it's still so little. I wish I could finish off my adventures in Mexico here, but I think I have other lives to touch and other service to do. Though I did mention the idea to President Gardner.

I haven't lost any weight and I don't think I will, because Mexicans know how to EAT. I usually only eat a small breakfast and then one meal a day, but that meal is Huge. I haven't gotten food poisoning yet though. And the majority of the food I enjoy eating, rather than just forcing it down.

I am so happy here and send all my love home. I will send pictures as soon as I get back, but I might just be staying here for the rest of my life :D. I hope all is well! (And, give out a book of mormon this week. Or invite someone to church--it's really not that hard, I promise. I've already invited PLENTY of people)

Love, Hna. Davis

2 comments:

  1. Rachel! It's so great to hear about your experiences on your mini-mission. You beat me out to the mission field haha but thats ok I'm excited for you. Good luck with the rest of your mission, you'll do great. I look forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my favorite. :] Thank you for being a constant inspiration.

    ReplyDelete