Monday, August 1, 2011

Virtue

Sundays have always been beautiful to me. They are peaceful and uplifting and full of people that I love.

I was uncertain as to how I would spend Sundays here. I was hoping to attend church somewhere, but I didn't know where or how or if it would be held. I was grateful to find out that church is held here, at Pathway, with a congregation full of children. I was also happy to find out that I would be put to work. It's always good to be busy and feel needed. I played the piano in the meeting and also spoke for about 15 minutes. I was grateful that God gave me these opportunities, but was then prepared to sit back and enjoy the rest of the services silently observing. Prasad surprised me, however, by asking me to teach Young Women's. So with about two minutes and a lot of help from the spirit, I began to teach on Virtue. We discussed what exactly Virtue is and why it is important to have "high moral standards" in our lives. I spoke a little bit about how this applies in my culture and then turned the time over to the girls.

I was touched as they shared their beliefs and feelings. Here in India, it is culturally accepted that a man should not "touch" a woman before marriage. Modest dress is expected in all occasions and in all places. Dating starts at age 18 and many Christian religions don't allow even ear piercings.

Though different from some of the standards I've traditionally seen and lived by, I was greatly inspired by the faith and the commitment to Virtue of these Indian people. I began to cry as I realized that these girls are already worlds ahead of where I am in their understanding of Virtue and Purity.


Something else I've learned (though seemingly contradictory):
Everyone needs to be touched. It's something about being human, I guess. It shows us that we are literally and physically loved. A hand held, an arm around, a brush of the cheek, little little things mean so very much.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring words. I'm glad you're having a great time in India :)

    ReplyDelete