Thursday, August 4, 2011

19

As I was writing in my journal this morning I realized that I only have 19 days left here. Something about being in the teens shocked and surprised me. I can't believe that I have such little time left already. It seems like it's been only a few days.

Sometimes I don't know exactly what I'm doing here. There's not any real schedule or calendar for a person like me, I just kind of make my own. Sure, I'm teaching English and Piano and Guitar, but they don't really need that. They really have a solid organization over here. They have teachers, housemothers, wardens, etc. all of whom fill the role of leader and disciplinarian. What the children need is love. What the children need is family.

I cannot fill this void and while the Indian government remains the way that it is, this void may never be filled. I am not trying to be critical or disrespectful of the government, I am only speaking from observation, the little that I see and understand. But I see children with lonely eyes and broken hearts. I see children who have come from destitution, poverty and yes, even from the gutters.

Sometimes I don't know exactly what I'm doing here. But I know that God can show me what to do. And I know that God is mindful of every one of his children. Even those who are sleeping in the gutters.

1 comment: