Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ten things I've learned from 24 hours in Chennai, India

1) Bugs love me. I certainly learned this while in Cuerna Vaca, counting over
50 mosquito bites by my third day there, but I’ve been reminded of it
again, when after only 24 hours (and not very many of them spent
outside), I’ve already counted at least 10.

2) Indian English is not American English. And it is certainly not the
dominant language spoken here. In fact, I’ve been told that each Indian
state has their own language.

3) Apparently, I look like an Indian Celebrity. Her name slips my mind
(starts with a “S” and probably rhymes with something like Bika‐yikanandu),
but apparently I look like her.

4) I am white for a white person. For an Indian Person, I am florescent.

5) Indian spices don’t do good things to my stomach. Don’t worry, all
regular here, I just have to eat very, very slowly.

6) Here, the wealthier you are, the more adept you are at eating with your
hands.

7) You don’t wear seat belts in India, not because they cars don’t have them
(they do, just without the buckle part), but because it is much safer in
India than in the United States.

8) Jet lag is a very real thing.

9) If you live in a rural area, you can expect the power be out more often
than not.

10) If you do not honk your horn while driving, you are doing it wrong.


Also, Indian people are absolutely beautiful. And they are so, so kind.

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute and funny! And I am SO jealous of your great experience! You are going to do so great though. You are such a great leader :)

    ReplyDelete